What to do when you accidentally feed your dog Chocolate?

Do dogs eat chocolate – chocolate will be extremely serious or not? why is chocolate bad for dogs? What to do when a dog eats chocolate? Professional dog owners or veterinarians often recommend that small dogs can’t eat chocolate, because otherwise, it will be very dangerous to live, even eating a little bit. Why is the dog eating chocolate so scary? Let’s find out together.

Why shouldn’t dogs eat chocolate?

Dogs have been associated with humans for a long time. Perhaps, for this reason, humans and dogs also have similar food preferences. Seeing what you eat, they want to taste some of that taste too. Or out of curiosity and gluttony?

However, with sweets, humans can digest them easily, not dogs. Their digestive system is completely different from that of humans. So what many people like to eat the most, chocolate, becomes a danger to dogs. Even take their lives. Therefore, do not give chocolate to dogs.

The more a dog eats chocolate, the closer the danger is. But what is the real reason? Those delicious and sweet chocolate bars are harmless. There are probably many people who think that large dogs only eat a little chocolate, so there will be no problem. But don’t be subjective, small dogs are different. Don’t let your dog eat chocolate, you’ll regret it.

Your dog’s risk of getting sick from eating chocolate depends on the type and amount eaten as well as the dog’s weight. The concentration of these harmful substances varies between different types of chocolate.

Mild chocolate poisoning symptoms occur when a dog consumes 20 mg of methylxanthines per kilogram of body weight. Cardiac symptoms of chocolate toxicity occur around 40 to 50 mg/kg, and seizures occur at doses greater than 60 mg/kg.

Chocolate poisoning is especially serious in the case of puppies eating it.

Feeding dogs chocolate and serious consequences

Dogs are sensitive to methylxanthines (specifically caffeine and theobromine)
Dogs are sensitive to methylxanthines (specifically caffeine and theobromine)

Chocolate is made from cocoa beans. Cocoa contains a lot of Methylxanthine, Caffeine, and Theobromine. These substances will bind together to form receptors on the cell surface. This prevents natural substances from binding to receptors in the pet’s body. A small dose of methylxanthine is enough to cause a puppy to vomit and have diarrhea. As for humans, it is like a stimulant to create a feeling of euphoria.

That sounds like the opposite, right? That’s because chocolate also contains a large amount of Theobromine and Caffeine. If dogs accidentally eat too much chocolate, muscle cramps will occur. Even shocked. After taking these substances, the puppy’s heart rate will increase 2 times compared to normal. Four limbs like “crazy” up. It’s no different when we drink a full-sized cup of coffee.

In fact, these adorable puppies can also digest small amounts of chocolate. But it depends on body size, weight as well as physical condition. And it also depends on the type of chocolate they eat. Unsweetened Baking Chocolate contains 6 times more methylxanthine than milk chocolate. According to veterinarians, with small dogs, if dogs eat chocolate about 120 grams, it is enough to cause death.

Dark chocolate and milk chocolate are also toxic to dogs. Approximately 0.5 kg of dark chocolate contains 9 mg -18 mg of the toxin theobromine. On average, 28 g of pastry chocolate contains about 390 mg of the toxin theobromine, medium chocolate contains 150 mg and milk chocolate contains 44 mg.

In contrast, white chocolate contains harmful cocoa butter, sugar, and milk but only small amounts of the toxic theobromine. Veterinarians have confirmed that white chocolate is very unlikely to poison a dog, even if it is labeled as high in cocoa solids. However, you CAN NOT feed your dog regular white chocolate, as it can still be dangerous for your dog as the amount of theobromine can build up over time. For comparison, white chocolate contains only 0.25 mg of theobromine per ounce of chocolate…so when compared to milk chocolate or dark chocolate, white chocolate is probably the safest for dogs.

Would you dare to let your dog eat junk and arbitrary chocolate anymore?

Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

Chocolate is very toxic to dogs. It can be considered a chronic process. If dogs eat chocolate in small amounts, their resistance will only decrease. It is not necessary to go to the veterinary clinic. But if your dog eats too much chocolate, you can give them activated charcoal to remove the methylxanthine found in chocolate.

After eating chocolate, the symptoms of poisoning will appear after about 6-12 hours and last up to 3 days, manifest as follows: Vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, frequent urination, convulsions if severe, and possibly death from an abnormally high heart rate.

To avoid this substance from the digestive system into the bloodstream. Although dogs accidentally eating chocolate can take their lives. But don’t worry, you can still give your dog a little chocolate (an extremely small amount).

Here are 5 typical symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs:

Vomiting and diarrhea

This is the earliest sign of chocolate poisoning in dogs. Some dogs are able to get well again after vomiting all the chocolate they have consumed, while others continue to vomit as the toxicity of the chocolate still affects the dog. Diarrhea can also occur in dogs with chocolate poisoning.

Increase Thirst

Another common symptom of chocolate poisoning in dogs is increased thirst. This is because Theobromine and caffeine are present in chocolate

Panting and anxious

The panting and anxiety that accompanies many health problems in dogs is also a sign your dog has chocolate poisoning. If your dog ingests chocolate, he may be in pain or may feel very ill due to the toxic levels of chocolate, or he may experience a rapid heart rate and increased body temperature.

If you notice these two symptoms and aren’t sure if chocolate might be the cause, you should take your dog to see your veterinarian for more information.

High heart rate

A sudden increase in heart rate is also a typical symptom of a dog ingesting chocolate. This is due to the theobromine and caffeine content found in chocolate. Not only dogs, but humans can also experience increased heart rate if caffeine is consumed. However, the risk of a dog’s life in danger is much higher if chocolate is consumed because the dog’s digestive system and the body can’t process the elimination of caffeine as quickly. As a result, a dog’s heart rate can spike suddenly and reach dangerous levels for a short time after eating chocolate.

Epilepsy

Finally, an atypical but extremely dangerous symptom is seizures in dogs caused by eating chocolate. Seizures occur when a dog has eaten too much of a toxic substance that affects the brain. Although seizures can also be related to epilepsy, acute seizures are more likely to be a sign of poisoning and most likely chocolate poisoning.

Types of chocolate, depending on the type as well as the ingredients in it, the toxicity index is also different. In which dark chocolate is unique, white chocolate has the lowest index.

What to do if a dog eats chocolate?

Even if your dog doesn’t eat too much chocolate, the high sugar and calorie content can cause vomiting and diarrhea. In many cases, you have to carefully observe the condition of your “treasure”.

Within 8 hours for an adult dog (4 hours for a puppy) the dog’s reaction is poisoning do not disappear must take them to the hospital as soon as possible. As well as carefully describe the ingredients and the type of chocolate they have accidentally eaten. This helps veterinarians have accurate diagnoses and timely treatment.

After the dog accidentally eats chocolate and is poisoned for 4-6 hours, it must seek treatment immediately. If there is still no treatment within 12 – 36 hours, it’s time for your dog to be hospitalized. Don’t just because your carelessness and lack of knowledge affect your dog’s health and life. Best to use dog food and specialized dog snacks.

5/5 - (3 votes)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Reasons why dogs and cats should not be vegetarian