Online URL Encode and Decode
URL encoding and decoding are processes used to convert special characters in URLs to their corresponding ASCII character representation and vice versa. These special characters, also known as percent-encoded characters, may include spaces, punctuation, and other non-alphanumeric characters.
One common use of URL encoding is to handle spaces in URLs, as most web browsers do not allow spaces to be included in a URL. Instead, the space character is represented using the percent-encoded character %20. For example, the URL “https://domain.com/my file.txt” would be encoded as “https://domain.com/my%20file.txt”.
Other common percent-encoded characters include %2C for a comma, %27 for an apostrophe, %3F for a question mark, and %3D for an equals sign.
Online URL Encoder is a free online tool for encoding and decoding URLs. Simply enter the URL you wish to encode or decode, and our tool will perform the necessary conversion. Whether you’re a developer working on a web application or a user trying to create a URL with special characters, our tool can help you easily encode or decode your URLs.
What to know about URL encoding and decoding:
- ASCII characters: ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) is a character encoding standard that represents text in computers and other devices. ASCII characters are often used in URL encoding and decoding to represent special characters in URLs.
- Percent-encoded characters: Percent-encoded characters, also known as URL-encoded characters, are special characters that are represented using a combination of the percent symbol (%) and a two-digit hexadecimal code. These characters are used in URL encoding to represent characters that are not allowed in a URL, such as spaces and punctuation.
- Encoded URL: An encoded URL is a URL that has been modified using URL encoding to represent special characters as percent-encoded characters. Encoded URLs are often used to transmit data over the internet, as they can be more easily transmitted through certain systems and protocols.
- Decoded URL: A decoded URL is a URL that has been converted from its encoded form back into its original, unmodified form. This process is known as URL decoding.
- URL encoding algorithms: URL encoding algorithms are sets of rules and procedures used to encode and decode URLs. There are several different algorithms that are commonly used for URL encoding, including the widely used UTF-8 encoding algorithm.